Solid Food and Self Discipline--Hebrews 5:11-6:1a

Discipline? Yep, you read that right! I am not talking about flogging or self mutilation.  I am talking about restraint and saying yes to only the right things.

In a lot of my reflection my biggest issues in life and faith come down to lacking self discipline.  Drawing on my limited knowledge of John Wesley and the Methodist way, I really think there is some genius in having a "method" in regards to your spirituality and your life in general.  This year is probably going to be a struggle as I try to navigate this path, especially in the beginning as I seek a "method" that truly works for me.   

With kids and a busy schedule I have had a hard time staying focused and centered in on the important things.  Many people have told me over the years to get up earlier and read scripture, enjoy quiet and sip a cup of coffee before the kids wake up.  It is not that I would scoff at that idea, I just did not see the practicality in it.  I felt that I needed to find a way in my already existing life to make that time happen.  Well, it did not, at least in a sense that I was happy with.  Life always got in the way.  It was too noisy.

Something that also plagued me was my thoughts that quiet time with God was over rated.  Emmaus changed that for me greatly! We have to be quiet to hear the noise in our head and realize how little peace we truly have in our lives each and every day.  Our heads are so full of stuff that we sincerely do not know what quiet sounds like unless we intentionally make time for it.

The single best way for me to do that is to get up a little earlier and start my day trying to wade through the noise and figure out what I can shut down and what is important.  And that leads me to scripture. 

As I write about my reflections they will be focused on the day prior.  Most days will probably be boring but I hope some days that my ramblings about things I am comforted by or convicted may speak to someone and help out just a little bit. 

And that leads me to this morning.  It is from Hebrews and it is a passage that forced me to realize the importance of continued growth in faith.  The words speak for themselves, but there comes a time to live on the spoon feeding of Christianity. However, we Christians are ultimately called to become disciples and go out and teach, lead, encourage, love and grow.  We are called to move forward and launch into the world and not live within the confines of church walls.  For me, this passage calls me to strive for self discipline and move out of my comfort zone and make some changes. 

Take a look at the passage listed below and continue to read through chapter 6 in your own bible and ask yourself two questions-1.How long have I been a Christian?  2. Am I still living on milk as it is defined in scripture? I am certain for most of us we will find the answer astounding!

"About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.  For thought by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God.  You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child.  But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.
Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity..."
Hebrews 5:11-6:1a

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on the last few days...

Eeyore the Dragon Slayer

The Perfect Storm: Part 1 of Mandy's Food Therapy