Not all who wander are lost, they just want to argue over the directions

Not all who wander are lost.

That is what was ringing in my head as I was underscoring some discussion topics in Deuteronomy for a bible study discussion. It was causing me to reflect on how we do not hit our destinations because we do not let God lead and we neglect to do what he says. Then I finished the thought, Not all who wander are lost, they just want to argue over the directions or they want to be driven. 

How often have you not trusted your GPS? Personally, it is more times than I can count.  On more than one occasion I have said, “That can’t be right.  This place is in an opposite direction,” and completely disregard the machine.  My other favorite is when I say, “That is near this other place I know how to get there!” and then I don’t even turn the machine on!

If you know me you laugh at this because I have a terrible sense of direction.  Living in NKY it took me years to know the difference between 18 and 42. I had to always ask, is this the street the church is on or the other one. It am awful!  So, I usually use Google Maps and am done with it.  But there are the moments when I get too big for my britches and think I can get someplace on my own. When this happens I only disappoint myself because I usually end up someplace else and waste time and gas trying to get somewhere. 

Now I am not lost.  I know EXACTALLY where I am! I am just not at my destination. Then I turn the GPS on and listen and obey the demanding woman that blares through my car speakers. My time would have been saved, along with my sanity if I had not made the choice to try to do it on my own.

Thankfully if the GPS is actually on and I get that wild hair to see where this road leads, it will recalculate.  Just like God recalculates us when we get off track. I then have to decide, am I now going to follow the recalculated route or are we going to continue to be stubborn and think I know a better way.

As Christians, we are expected to do the basics; read scripture, pray, GO OUT AND MAKE DISCIPLES and love and serve one another. If we cannot follow this simple route then how can we expect to hit our destination? You cannot cut down on time and there is no easier way than this. 

You do need to beware, there is a kicker, you cannot just turn the GPS on, you actually have to move in that direction. You have to make the effort and drive the car. You have to get out of your comfort zone and go through that neighborhood everyone tells you to avoid. You have to drive pasts those sin markets with those enticing road signs without stopping to get a fix. You have to stop once in awhile to help a fellow traveler change his tire. 


We have to turn on the GPS, listen to it, and then do what it says. Translation, tune God in, shut up, listen to what he is telling you and then DO IT. Until you start doing that you are not truly following God

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on the last few days...

Eeyore the Dragon Slayer

The Perfect Storm: Part 1 of Mandy's Food Therapy