My Grandmother and A Light In My Life, In Memory



On December 2, 2013 my grandmother, Nina Pilgrim, left his earth to be reunited with the love of her life.  They are living together for eternity in the arms of Jesus!
We laid her to rest on December 7, 2013 in Virginia Beach VA.
Here is the eulogy that I prepared for her funeral followed by two videos that shows pictures from her life on this earth, her online guestbook which you can read and sign, and her obituary in the newspaper in VA Beach. And to all those that prayed for my grandmother during her illness, those that sent flowers and our family and shared your memories, thank you for that blessing. 

 ****************************************
As you read please click this link and play this song
"Where Are You Christmas" By Faith Hill
It was played at her funeral
**********************************************



A Eulogy For Nina K. Pilgrim
A Light In My Life
By. Carolyn Marie Hankins-Wolfe, Eldest Grandchild

I spent a lot of time over the past week and a half trying to find just the right thing to say at this exact moment. I wrote a couple of things down but nothing seemed good enough. Then on Sunday December 1, The first Sunday in Advent.  (A season that prepares our heart for the coming of Christmas-Her favorite Holiday). I was sitting in church listening to my pastors sermon and he was preaching from the book of Isaiah and he reached

Isaiah 2:5

“O house of Jacob, come let us walk in the light of the Lord.”


He reminded us, probably for the 100th time, that as Christians that we have a responsibility to live our lives in a way that encourages those around us to walk in the light of Christ. My mind started seeking real life examples of someone that does this and my mind stopped on one single person, my grandmother, Nina Pilgrim.


I have yet to have met anyone that has known my grandmother that did not remark on her amazing hospitality, her high value of friendship or zest for life! People will look back on their time with my grandmother and I know they will remember things that were unique only to her, like her laugh and her favorite stories to retell. Some will look back, like her friends at her favorite restaurants, and will think of her whenever they pour a diet coke. Her friends at pinboys will look back on her life every time they slap a high five.   There is also the brave few that have driven in a car with her will look back on the times they held her breath as she made a left turn on yellow on VA Beach BLVD on what seemed like two wheels! 
Regardless of the little moments in life where you will remember her, I know for a fact that that memory will always be followed by a smile. We will smile not just because we remember her, but because she loved us. And there was nothing like being loved by this amazing woman. If you were her family she loved you, even if she did not like you at that particular moment. If you were her friend, she loved you. And in many cases, she loved her friends like family, because they were family. She would say to me quite often over the last few years “In life your will find that your friends will become family and they will treat you better than family. AND THAT's A FACT!” I know for a fact that she felt that way about some very special people, The Klein Family. In her heart, Cheryl, Gary, Terry and Carl--you were her family, please do not ever forget that.


We all have our favorite moments, but many of mine were of times years ago when the love of her life was still alive. Chuck and Nina where the poster children for happily ever after! They loved deeply and it was simply inspirational! They took care of each other and loved each other through so much.
I had the honor of growing up with them and living in the light of this marriage. This light, for me, was a source of security and stability as it was for many others in my family. I always knew that I could come home when life was challenging, and Barcelona Lane was always the north on my compass. When my grandfather died their light never faded because it was too strong. She loved him just as much, if not more, 16 years after his passing as she did the day they were married.  I am convinced that in the moment of her passing, my grandfather took her hand, and they walked into the gates of heaven together .  And at that exact moment I know without a doubt that a new star was born because they were once again reunited.
When I start to think about the fact that she is now with the love of her life and in the company of so many loved ones that have gone before her I cannot continue to be sad. Don’t get me wrong, I will shed tears when I miss her, like when I am cooking for 10 but serving to a crowd of 4 ("You Come By It Honest" she used to say.) but I will always smile right after because I know that she is right where she wants to be. Which is with the love of her life, her dearest family-Like her mother Stella-Her brothers, Artie-Jim and Tony-Her sister Maggie-and so many others all in the company of Jesus!


One sweet day I know, FOR A FACT, that I will be with her again and in the presence of Jesus.  But until that day I choose to live on through her legacy and embody all of those things that allowed me to see Jesus through her….
Loving my neighbors or my friends…Speaking The Truth In Love…Never neglecting hospitality…Loving And Honoring My Marriage…Being Devoted To My Children…And simply doing the right thing even when it is not the easy thing. I pray that as you look back on her life and your relationship with her that you also find encouragement to walk in the light of Christ just as she did. 

However, today, as you look back, do not shed tears of sorrow. She would not want that.  Instead shed two simple tears; one of remembrance of a life well lived and loved and the second for joy because she loved us.

And thank you all for coming today to celebrate her life and above all else, thank you for being her friend and know she loved you!
 

*****************************************

Here is the link to the online guestbook if you wish to read it or sign it. 

I could not embed these, but the link should take you right to them.

Video For My Grandma Part One


Video For My Grandma Part Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neDTNYlEWIo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on the last few days...

Eeyore the Dragon Slayer

The Perfect Storm: Part 1 of Mandy's Food Therapy