Church without physical walls- Jeremiah 31:3-4


My bible is filled with notes and agape.  It is actually a journaling bible with spaces designed for writing in the margin.  This is important because I write down notes on sermons, bible studies and times of reflection.  Most of the time I date them and indicate why it was significant.  It is awesome to thumb through and find them and remember that moment and then see the outcome. 

I stumbled across a passage this morning that I found impactful almost a year ago, it was the 5th of January last year.  My only note attached to this line was "answer to prayer on feeling lost."  A few things happened around this time that made me pretty bitter and made me questions my decision of a church home. I would be lying if I said that this is still not a struggle, even today.

"'I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore, I have continued my faithfulness to you.  Again, I will build you and you shall be built."
Jeremiah 31:3-4

I had to seriously listen for guidance.  I am not one that likes change and I am not a quitter so I just had to stick it out and move forward.  Thankfully, God did provide outlets for me outside of my church.  I started doing bible studies at other churches while my kids connected with new Christian kids and teacher, I took on a board position at a local mission, I started tap dancing at the Christian Dance Academy, and I finally had an open door to go to Emmaus. 

I learned that the church with walls and what is within in it is not always going to give you what the church that is lacking in walls can give you.  Having that nudge to move past the church with physical walls and moving into the church with walls made of living stones has proven to be most helpful and most wonderful. 

"We don't go to church, we ARE the church." is a quote I read somewhere that has stuck with me. 

To tie in with my devotional reading yesterday from Hebrews, I liken the church to our nursery.  This is where we receive milk and learn how to eat and walk and speak.  It is our main home, one where we should be comforted and well fed for the world outside.  The church in terms of the community beyond the walls is where we begin to chew on the solid food as disciples.  We have to realized that God is building us to be a glorious church community! Not a community of denomination and church buildings.  But a church made of people that are doing their best to live forward moving outside of those walls and do what we are called to do "love our God" and "love our neighbor."

We are a church made of living stones and we are being built out of love and faithfulness! What a glorious church  that would be if we lived that out in the world instead of saving that for the safety of our church walls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on the last few days...

Eeyore the Dragon Slayer

The Perfect Storm: Part 1 of Mandy's Food Therapy